Friday, May 30, 2014

Guest post: Elijah's story - "Dukan do it!"

Today, I'm excited to introduce y'all to one of the friends I've known the longest (and stayed close in touch with) - Elijah. I've known Lije since I was 10 years old, and we've been friends since I was about 14. We kind of "grew up" together at church camp around euchre tables and campfires, and now he has a story to share with you about his recent weight loss success. I'm so proud of him for undergoing this transformation and lifestyle change, and am so thankful for the support he's given throughout my transformation. Note, he didn't use Paleo or CrossFit, but it's a good story nonetheless. :) 


I never thought I was big. I thought I was a "healthy" weight. Sure, I never exercised or watched what I ate, but it didn't matter to me, everything seemed to be going well. I had assumed I was still about 230 pounds, as my ID said, but, as it turned out I was off by about 15 pounds (coincidentally, this is how much my dog weighs).
Upon this revelation, and through talking with Lauren, a friend I have known for over half my life, I came to the conclusion that something had to be done. Did I have a clue what this something was?  Nope, but she gave me a good, baby-step idea, change my coffee shop beverage of choice.  For years I drank white chocolate mochas as my sole drink at such places. It wasn't because I didn't like the taste of coffee and needed something insanely sweet to  deal with it, but merely because they were very tasty, and I like white chocolate. So, taking her advice I switched from my 550+ calorie drink, which I had on average 4 times a week, to a sensible cappuccino, which weighed in at a much more reasonable 160 calories. This initial switch, after a couple months, seemed to net me a loss of about 10 pounds! Woohoo! Go me!! Then the holidays happened, and BOOM! Back on they went.
Fast forward to February. My father, who was and still is, heavier than I started a diet on the recommendation of a couple clients of his. He started the day after the Super Bowl, and a week later he had lost 15 pounds! I was floored and excited by his progress! So, I decided I would give the thing a shot too. The diet we both embarked upon, and are still on, is the Dukan diet. The diet starts with what it refers to as the Attack Phase this phase of the diet allows you to eat as much as you want, but the only things allowed are lean protein and nonfat dairy, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of oat bran (for your bowels). Throughout the diet you are to consume no less than 1 1/2 quarts of water a day, which is incredibly easy! During this phase you are also required to have a brisk 20 minute walk a day, whatever pace is brisk for you.  I was on this phase for 5 days (Dr. Dukan recommends 2-10 days) and lost roughly 10 pounds.  After the first couple days I didn't have any sort of afternoon "crash' and generally felt a lot better about myself!
The next phase of the diet is where I lost the bulk of my, well, bulk! This is referred to as the Cruise Phase. During this phase I alternated one day of pure protein, and one day of protein plus veggies, again, I could consume as much as my stomach desired! I did cheat here and there throughout this phase, but after I cheated I spend the next 2-3 days with pure protein, skipping a veggie day. I finally hit my goal on may 17th, in roughly 13 weeks I managed to lose 45 pounds! The race is not yet run though. I now have to prevent myself from yo-yoing back up to what I previously weighed and the temptation to just eat whatever I want again is great!

The Dukan Diet has a third phase to help here and it requires a person proceed with this phase for 5 days for every pound lost, which for me is 220 days. I will have this phase finished right around December 3. During this phase I am required 1 day a week of pure protein, veggies are allowed every other day of the week now, I am allowed an amount of cheese and a serving of fruit a day now, and even some bread, a starch based meal, and a celebration meal consisting of appetizer, dinner, dessert, and wine! 

Looking at a comparison picture, I hardly look like the same man I was three months ago! I feel amazing, I have more stamina, and I am happier with myself over all! Today, I am the lightest I have been since I graduated High School. It's pretty amazing what can happen when you put forth the effort and willpower.

 Left - Elijah in December 2013; Right - Elijah in May 2014

Left - Elijah in February 2014; Right - Elijah in May 2014

Elijah and me, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment