Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Sweat, six-packs and sports bras, oh my!

Sweat
Lord have mercy – if the gym gets much hotter than it is already, it’s going to be a LONG summer of losing water weight. I’m starting to consider purchasing actual sweatbands a la 1986. In this moment, I wish my cat would stop trying to clean my sweaty hair (disgusting). I also wish I had a six-pack already so I could just work out in a sports bra and booty shorts. More on that to follow…

Six-packs and sports bras
This week, as many of you may have seen on Facebook, I decided to share comparison photos of me on February 24 vs. me on May 27 – just over three months later, after following a Paleo-based diet (most of the time) and working out 4-5 times a week at CrossFit. The response has been overwhelming. I didn’t expect to receive even a quarter of the comments or “likes” that I did, considering no one really wants to look at a fat woman in her sports bra and workout shorts…twice. But, once again, I am so humbled by and grateful for the support of my friends and family. And now I’m sharing this photo with you. (Drumroll…) Ladies and gents, I share with you the difference that 35 lbs. makes. It’s not about the numbers alone. It’s about how I feel – happier, more confident, and ready to take on anything.

When I get discouraged, I rest in the fact that under that (still relatively thick) layer of fat on my abdomen is a six-pack, waiting to make its debut. I found it a couple weeks ago when I was laying on my bed, talking to my mom. It’s definitely in there…and now I’m taking bets on when it will be visible to the rest of the world. Anyone? (I’m hoping by next summer. I don’t think I can stand wearing shirts in the gym for another summer. I’m ready to shift to sports bras whenever my body will allow!)
Speaking of sports bras…funny story.

Last week, I spent time in Scottsdale, Arizona, for a work-related conference.  I packed workout clothes, thinking I would have enough time (and hydration) to fit in a WOD at a local affiliate, but didn’t get a chance to use them. When I returned to CFE the day after flying home, I went into the restroom to change and, after stripping down, realized (as I dug frantically through my gym bag) that I forgot to pack my sports bra. This also happened to be the night of a first (and last) date, so there was no time to spare to run to Old Navy for a new one. Feeling defeated, I put my work clothes back on and walked out of the restroom.

Before  I got halfway to the door, one of the coaches asked where I was going. I’m not very discreet, so I just told him what happened and said there was no way I was going to work out in my cheetah-print pushup. He reminded me that I could probably do the sumo deadlifts, and then offered to make me my own WOD for the day so I wouldn’t have to miss another workout (that would have been 6 days off). He followed through, and instead of the grueling, bouncy WOD that included pull-ups, toes-to-bars, and burpees. My workout was 2 minutes Airdyne, then 1 minute of modified toes-to-bars for 10 minutes. I’m very appreciative that he took the time to do that for me, even if my cheetah-print bra straps were hanging out all over the place.

Based on the feedback that I’ve been hearing, and on a “gut feeling,” I’m starting to wonder if this transformation is leading me to a new calling. I’m not sure what it might be, but my experiences over the past year and half with divorce, extensive change, and transformation may help me help others.


No comments:

Post a Comment