Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Lauren's European Vacation (and Business Trip)

(Disclaimer: I'm writing this still feeling a little tired and dealing with seasonal allergies, so I'm not really being mindful of grammar.)

I know things have been a little quiet for the past week or so, but that's because, as my friends and family know, I was out of the country for work (Paris) and vacation (London).

I've been to Paris a few times for work, but this most recent trip provided a different opportunity, as I've never gone to Paris while watching how I eat. Thanks to my CrossFit family, I had plenty of Paleo snacks with me on the plane -- poached chicken (made at home, then froze for preservation), baby carrots, plantain chips, Larabars (Cherry Pie - whoa!), banana, apple, cashews -- that being said, I was successful in following Paleo during 17 hours in airports and in planes.

But, after my first meal in town, I was relegated to conference meals that provided very limited Paleo-friendly food options. I tried to stick as closely to Paleo as possible, but I had to make some sacrifices. The sacrifices were made 1) because of the language barrier (I dare you to try to tell a French person that you don't eat bread or cheese) and 2) I didn't have many options. Yes, I ate a croissant (a must in Paris). Yes, I ate a small piece of dark chocolate galette. Yes, I drank good French wine (with the Germans). Yes, I ate four bites of a nutella-banana crepe. Terrible sacrifices, I know. And, frankly, I felt them.

On Thursday, my friend and I took the train up to London for a long weekend vacation. I thought it would be easier to follow Paleo in London, but, boy, was I wrong. It was even harder to follow Paleo in London, even without a language barrier. The main cuisines of London are based on comfort food and pub food, and we enjoyed what they offered. Potatoes were everywhere - in pasties, with fish, alongside a shoulder of venison. However, we walked a lot - probably about 3-5 miles a day - and used the Tube to go longer distances. Helpful hint: If you ever go to London, bring your walking shoes, even if you only use them for going from check-in at Heathrow to your departure gate. Also, you may want to bring a water bottle that you can carry anywhere with you. Free water is hard to come by (and so are free public toilets, but that's another issue. Hydrate!)!

One thing I learned from traveling abroad this time around is just how much better I feel when I'm eating right. I came back from my trip feeling (and looking) bloated and sluggish. I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose any more, either. Even though poor food choices are delicious sometimes, I've restarted my Paleo adventures since returning and am already starting to feel better! I just made a pretty delicious Paleo Banana Bread recipe to have on-hand for breakfasts the rest of the week (accompanied with protein, of course).

I'm so glad I returned to CrossFit right away. I didn't get to complete the 14.5 CrossFit Open WOD, but I eased back in with "the Chief" and did better than I expected. I'm dealing with some delayed-onset muscle soreness, but I know I'll get used to the good soreness again in a few days. I'm so glad to be back to my routine with the support of my CrossFit family!

No comments:

Post a Comment