Friday, April 18, 2014

Celebrating and meditating - 45 pounds gone!


Today I'm celebrating 45 pounds lost since December 4, 2013. I wish I could sit here and write about just how easy it's been, but it has been ridiculously hard. As I've mentioned before, I couldn't have done it, or continue to do it, without having an incredible support system, or a positive attitude.

It’s truly empowering when you finally realize just how much stronger and healthier you've become. Over the past few months, I've learned the value of recognizing non-scale victories as my journey continues. I made a list of some "duh" ones and some that were totally unexpected for me. Fans and friends, I present the top 12 (I know, should be 10, but I'm weird like that) ways I’ve realized that I’m dropping the pounds and getting stronger:
  1. The bath towel fits all the way around my body after my shower (no kidding – so cozy!).
  2. A skirt I wore just three weeks ago, comfortably, can now only fit comfortably when I put my arm in the waistband…yeah, the days of wearing that skirt are over.
  3. Most mornings require at least an hour to get ready simply because I have to put on three different outfits to ensure I don’t look like I’m slumming it in oversized dress clothes.
  4. Deadlifting my 70-pound dog on and off the bed is EASY.
  5. I really CAN carry all of the groceries up the stairs and into the apartment in one trip.
  6. None of my undergarments fit. Seriously. Who knew tights and underwear could become too big?! Let’s not even talk about the bra collection…grr.
  7. Almost every day, I get so excited to see muscle definition that I *may or may not* tell someone to just “feel it” when I flex my biceps. Annoying, I know. But awesome. Also, I’m fascinated by my now-visible clavicles and the little “dents” appearing around my ankles and wrists.
  8. After years of snubbing consignment shops, I’m learning that they are a pretty good option for shopping while losing weight. $14 blazer that was originally at least $75? Don’t mind if I do.
  9. I've learned that I can start shopping again at "normal" (read: not fat lady) stores. My new shorts are from New York & Company.
  10. My fingers, hands, and wrists are getting bonier by the day. I bought a beautiful amethyst ring for myself around Christmas last year, and at the time, the ring fit perfectly on my size 7 ½ right-ring finger. Now, I have to wear it on the middle finger because it’s at least one full size, if not one-and-a-half sizes, too big. Also, my parents bought me a Citizen watch for Christmas, and I had to have two links taken out when I bought that ring – and now I need at least 3 more removed.
  11. When I went to Paris and London, I actually fit comfortably in the airplane seats.
  12. On April 17, the WOD included weighted step-ups and hang snatches. I started by modifying to 45 pounds of weight, and used only a 12” box for my step-ups instead of 20”, because there was no way I could get up on the 20” box with that extra 45 pounds of weight. Epiphany: There was no way I could get up on the 20” box with that extra 45 pounds of weight. I’ve been doing step-ups on 20” boxes now for a couple months. How crazy is that? If I hadn’t lost that extra 45 pounds, there’s probably no way I could step on a 20” box. I also was throwing the 45 pounds above my head during the hang snatches (pretty high reps), and was floored by how difficult they were. Wow. I’m pretty much in awe of the changes that have occurred in just a little over four months - it's so encouraging to write this out.
 
If you're working to lose weight, get healthy, and build up your strength, I encourage you to invest in yourself. Eat right (avoid grains and processed sugars, and drink plenty of water). Challenge yourself with exercise (Walking isn't really exercise...IMHO). Make sure you're getting enough sleep. If you want to weigh yourself (I know I do), try to weigh yourself only once a week at the same time, wearing the same clothing (or none, if that's your thing). Recognize that body weight fluctuates constantly throughout the day, and that you must work hard and sacrifice things to succeed, whether it's your so-called "favorite" foods, time with friends, or making sure your house is pristine. Eventually, all of that work and sacrifice will start paying off when you recognize the non-scale victories.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has lost much more weight than this, I find myself nodding and laughing. These "NSV" moments are far more rewarding than the numbers on the scale going down!!

    ReplyDelete