Saturday, March 1, 2014

One...

Oh, the power of one. One can make you feel powerless, or it can empower you. Today, one empowered me.

I could barely jump rope when I started at CrossFit, and though I had steadily improved, I still hadn't been able to do any double-unders. Until today.

Today's CrossFit Open 14.1 workout included double-unders and power snatches - and I was terrified, not of the lifting, but of the double-unders. I didn't want a big goose-egg next to my name for the score today. So, taking the advice of some very wise coaches, I started off with singles and persevered until -drumroll and fireworks, please - it happened. I DID IT. It took me about 6 minutes, but I completed one double-under. I knew my score would be 1 for today, and I'm OK with that. I then completed one round of the 55# power snatches before time was called.

That ONE double-under made my day. It represented a personal hurdle that I didn't think I'd overcome any time soon. The ability to do just ONE signified that I'm capable, regardless of my size. It signified that I'm making progress. What's your ONE?

Now I'm off to reward myself with some new workout gear (that hopefully includes performance rhinestones)! 

(P.S. That's a Mindy Project reference. I firmly believe The Mindy Project is one of the top 5 funniest shows on TV, preceded only by New Girl, The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. Number five on my list is Modern Family.)

No comments:

Post a Comment